top of page

Permanent Resident Card

Once you’ve become a Canadian permanent resident you have a few responsibilities. The most important one is making sure your PR status is valid at all times when living in Canada.


The PR Card renewal requirements include being a permanent resident and submitting your application in Canada. You should only apply to renew your PR card if:

  • your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months

  • your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed

  • you didn’t receive your card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada

  • you need to update your card to legally change your name, change your citizenship, change your gender designation, correct your date of birth


You should renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.

Although you applied for Canadian Citizenship, you are still considered a permanent resident in Canada, and you need to renew your Permanent Resident Card until you receive your Canadian Citizenship.

Upon receiving your renewed or replaced PR Card you will be able to travel as usual and prove your status when requested or required to travel into or outside the country. As a permanent resident in Canada, you can use the time to qualify and apply for Canadian Citizenship.

If you fail to meet the residency obligation for permanent residents or the information you provide raises suspicions, you will be sent a Residency Determination. You may even receive a Residency Determination questionnaire because of a random selection of your application on the part of immigration officials.


The questionnaire comes in two parts:

  1. The Absence History Document is a form requesting details of your travels outside Canada as well as a section on personal information. You generally have 30 to 60 days to answer this.

  2. IMM 5511 form: This usually is sent after the Absence History Document, if immigration officials feel they need more information


If you receive an IMM 5511 form, it usually means you will then be interviewed by an IRCC official. If the official is not satisfied with the answers you provide in the interview, the next step is an interview with a judge. The judge has the power to revoke your status and order you deported if he or she sees fit, but you have the right to appeal. If your appeal is rejected, then you lose your permanent resident status and are subject to a removal order.

bottom of page